NetworkManager and libpurple

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Wed Jun 6 03:44:09 EDT 2007

What's the deal with our NetworkManager code?

I seem to remember a lot of bug reports where the status box said "Waiting for
network connection" even though the person was connected.  As far as I can
tell Ubuntu is still linking Gaim with the glib NetworkManager interface, and
I haven't seen as many bug reports about it.  Maybe the problem was due to
some bugs in NetworkManager that have since been fixed?

I also remember hearing someone say that the glib interface to NetworkManager
was buggy, and that we needed to rewrite it to interface with NetworkManager
using D-Bus.  Is that true?  Can anyone be more specific?

I'd like to fix things if there are things to be fixed, then change
configure.ac to enable NetworkManager if it's found and to get rid of the
"buggy" text in the help string.

-Mark