I HATE the lack of protocol icons

Eoin Coffey ecoffey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 22:30:54 EDT 2007

On 6/11/07, Eric Seelig <esseelig at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Or to be more accurate, I dislike the new icons in general.  The clock
> icon was initially confusing as to whether it meant away or idle, the new
> "now online" icon with an arrow pointing AWAY FROM the buddy list is
> certainly confusing enough, all of the green dots are rather annoying to
> look at,

There was a  (very long) discussion on this mailing list about the new
icons, and mainly about how everyone felt about using the clock.  Plenty of
people came out of the woodwork to express their view on the matter.  Simply
put the developers didn't just willy-nilly decide on what it was, they
looked for feedback.

 and in spite of the fact that you stonewalled on several valid responses on
> http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/414, there are several good reasons why
> there should be *at least an option* to retain the multiple/old icons, and
> "I don't want to code it again" isn't really a good argument for the
> opposite, when what a lot of users find appealing about one piece of
> software over another is the basic design/UI.

I think stonewalling is too strong a term here.  Each complaint in 414 was
refuted, and no one has yet to come up with a good reason why protocol icons
should be back in the buddylist.

And "I don't want to code it again" was certainly *not* the excuse.  It's
been stated numerous times that it would horribly non-trivial to implement
that, and the gain for the complexity would not be worth it.

I'll leave the rest of the logic for people who have been more hands on in
explaining the move away from protocol icons.

I'm glad that you took the time to articulate your concerns about the
changes; thats the whole point of these mailing lists, but your subject line
seems a little too grandiose, and maybe even a bit inflammatory.

-Eoin