I HATE the lack of protocol icons

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Tue Jun 12 11:30:20 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 01:12:52AM -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
> Those don't scream "available" to me at all.  I much prefer the green circle.
>
> -Mark

What about a green circle screams "available" at you? I certainly grant
that people have come to expect it (at least some people coming from some
clients) but people expecting things isn't a reason to keep them if they
aren't good. (See thread title if my point here isn't bleedingly obvious.)

I think the green circle is a horrible icon, for a number of reasons. It
lacks any distinguishing features of its own, which makes finding it
harder than it needs to be (no I'm not color blind, but I don't pay much
attention to color in general). It doesn't at all have anything to do with
availability of my buddy in any meaningful availability metaphor I can
think of. I also just happen to think it looks ugly (and I even like
green).

I'm not wedded to the feather, it was just an idle thought my wife and I
had, I'm more than open to suggestions of better icons for 'available', I
just really don't want to stick with the circle.

	-Etan