porting finch to uClinux

Joshua Blanton jblanton at masaka.cs.ohiou.edu
Tue Jun 12 12:04:53 EDT 2007

Bill Fassler wrote:
> I did seem to get past purple-client-example by disabling dbus, but I still fail in the examples and this type of failure also explains why I believe the build is still trying to link to host machine libraries instead of target libraries.
<snip>
> make[4]: Entering directory `/home/project/elf_flat/uClinux-dist/pidgin-2.0.0/libpurple/example'
> /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --tag=CC --mode=link bfin-uclinux-gcc -Wl,-elf2flt  -g -g -O2   -o nullclient -export-dynamic nullclient.o   -Wl,--export-dynamic -pthread -L/usr/local/lib -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0   -lxml2 -lz -lm   ../../libpurple/libpurple.la -lnsl -lresolv
> /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Yeah, so ... pkg-config is the sucks for cross-compiling, it seems.
You do, in fact, have to futz with the search path options and such
to force it to use your cross-compile-local libraries instead of
your native libraries, even though you used --host in configure
(because pkg-config does not have any way to specify the build
target architecture, as far as I can see).  You'll need to set
PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to the directory in which all of your
blackfin-related .pc files are located, and probably to be safe you
should set PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR as well since it's always searched.  I
don't see any way to force DATADIR, but you really want to change it
too; it looks like pkg-config is just not smart enough to handle
this.

Basically, if you're missing the correct .pc files, I suspect that
you'll find that pidgin (finch) will still try to link with your
native libraries.  However, if you set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
correctly, it *should* use that first and link against the blackfin
libs.

Hope this helps,
Josh