Revision 6d1ef619baf3d738285880ef745ddd512d6e97bb

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Fri Jun 22 09:02:03 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 07:23:44AM -0400, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> Quoting Etan Reisner <pidgin at unreliablesource.net>:
<snip>
> >What if I typo my account name? I certainly don't want a second account
> >registered automatically for me. Or did you mean popping up a dialog
> >saying 'It looks like you don't have an account on this server. Would you
> >like me to create it for you?' ?
>
> The latter, definitely.  That's how Adium currently handles it, though
> Andreas has, I believe, made the process much smoother.  The current
> implementation is along the lines of, "The server reported an invalid
> user name or password.  If you don't already have an account on this
> server (jabber.org), Adium can create one for you with the user name
> XXX.  <Cancel> <Register>"  (If invalid user name can be distinguished
> from invalid password, that should be refined to only prompt for the
> user name case).

I don't believe being able to tell the difference is possible as that
would leak account information to a potential attacker. In exactly the
way you would be intending to use it, is the jid I just tried a real
person or not.

> -Evan

One more question: Even given the new way this is being done with using
the GaimAccount to store things, what is the purpose of this
change/callback? What is the usage? What is it making possible?

	-Etan