Revision 6d1ef619baf3d738285880ef745ddd512d6e97bb

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Fri Jun 22 15:12:10 EDT 2007

Quoting Etan Reisner <pidgin at unreliablesource.net>:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:24:52AM -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
>> On 6/22/07, Etan Reisner <pidgin at unreliablesource.net> wrote:
>> >Right, and I'm trying to understand for what purpose the ui needs to know
>> >that information. It would seem to me that neither filling in fields
>> >correctly or automatically connecting would need that (though auto-filling
>> >might be made easier that way).
>>
>> You don't think the UI should know if clicking "Register" succeeded or not?
>
> I'm unsure why the UI needs to know that explicitely, as opposed to the
> current purple_notify_info method of just letting the user know. The two
> cases that I believe I've seen being claimed to be solved here are both
> solvable in other ways, as indicated by the fact that pidgin does the
> former and my emailed code should do the latter.

The problem with notification via notify_info, and this isn't limited
to the registration situation, is that it *requires* the UI to pop up
a new window with the information; there's no context with which it
could integrate the information into an existing window or display it
differently (e.g. with a different icon).  The only alternative is to
either put _all_ info notifications into a single place, such as a
dedicated 'notification' window or the contact list, or to parse out
the text of the notification to process it.

I'm not saying that this particular notification should be integrated
into some other window, though I could see the information being
displayed in the account configuration dialog instead of in its own
window.  This is, however, why I'd like to see many of the current
'generic' notify_info calls go through specific UI callbacks *or*
carry with them some identifier (one not intended for display to
humans and therefore not localized) so the UI could route the
information to appropriate places.

-Evan