Status indicators in tabs

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Sat Jun 23 19:13:25 EDT 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> On 6/23/07, Lukas Barth <tinloaf at goerresonline.de> wrote:
>> I think that removing the status indicators from the tabs had no
>> advantages (or am I wrong?), so would it be possible to bring them back?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the largest advantage (unforeseen by myself)
> is that you can now essentially double the number of tabs visible
> before you have to scroll. This has long been an issue. The purpose of
> the tabs is to manage multiple conversations, and by maximizing the
> number of tabs, it can better serve that purpose. It's not really
> intended to be a "mini-buddy list," as you're using it.

I am finding this change uncomfortable still, and I have been using it
for a few days.  I had a tab active earlier, but then I opened a new tab
to talk to someone else, then I was considering switching tabs to send a
message to the original user, but it turned out they were offline, and
there was no indication of this on the tab, so I didn't know until I
actually changed tabs.  If I had known, I wouldn't have bothered
switching tabs, or would have simply closed the tab without changing.

Additionally, if someone with whom I had been talking changes status
(but aren't actively), say, from available, to away, offline, busy, etc,
I have no way to see that this occurred, other than that they changed
status (italic gray), and even so I have to remember what their status
was to know if the change could have been favorable.  I have, then, to
switch tabs or find them in the blist to tell whether it is appropriate
now to message them or if they have disappeared.  I find that to be an
frustrating extra step so far.

This isn't becoming comfortable in the way that the blist changes were.

Kevin