Status indicators in tabs

Hylke Bons h.bons at student.rug.nl
Mon Jun 25 13:32:32 EDT 2007

Mark Doliner wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:08:52 +0200, Hylke Bons wrote
>
>> Mark Doliner wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 00:25:49 +0200, Hylke Bons wrote

>>> I think I'm going to have to disagree with you there... see attachment.
>>>
>> Large attachtment didn't came through.
>> Here is is: http://www.bomahy.nl/hylke/mockup.png
>>
>> Explaination:
>> Tabs are replaced with gtkbuttons and are categorized by
>> conversation/chatroom.
>> This leaves room for the status icons to be shown and the space below
>> isn't wasted like it is when wasting tabs.
>>

> What about people that only have one conversation open?
Like it is now. No tabs.

>   I don't think voice,
> video and file transfers happen very often, and I don't think they would take
> up quite as much space if we were to put them on the left side as in your
> screen shot.  I've never had a voice or video conversation, and I transfer a
> file maybe once out of every 100 conversations I have.

I do. There can be simple buttons/icons at the bottom that indicate what
features are
available in the conversation. Or anything else.

> I don't like using buttons in place of tabs--it doesn't feel natural.  X-Chat
> switched to using buttons and I think it feels really gross (I don't use
> X-Chat anymore).

When there are a lot of tabs open you only see Hy..., #pi... #ta... And
when there are too many tabs
there are arrows. Really confusgin and it takes too long to find
something. Now that's gross.
> This also seems more cluttered than the current interface.
>
> -Mark

Tabs are a mess of line crammed to a very tiny space when there are a
lot open.
It looks like a maze of lines with some lost letters
The almost don't provide info anymore. That's cluttered.

Hylke