Fwd: [Pidgin] #552: Description disappeared from field bottom of the contacts list

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Wed May 2 16:13:10 EDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Luke Schierer <lschiere at pidgin.im> wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:49:36AM -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> > deryni doesn't remember but recalls it being an "overwhelmingly
> > popular move." I think it was a dumb move. Discuss.
> One of the frequent complaints with the early betas was that you could
> not return from away.  In tracing this, we discovered that people
> actually could and were returning from away, they were confused by the
> fact that the status message was preserved.  changing this behavior
> fixed this "bug" for significant numbers of users.

Probably more AIM users unable to disassociate "away message" from
"away." /me stops before this turns into another "paper vs. clock"
debate. :)

The problem with the change is that it makes the behavior I
prefer---status messages distinct from status---inordinately
difficult. You have top copy (explicitly, just highlighting won't do
the trick), the status message, change the status, then paste the
message back.

The old behavior made it impossibly easy for me, and really trivial
for others (hit delete). Is the concept of an available message really
so confusing to people that this change is warrented?

-s.