Fwd: [Pidgin] #552: Description disappeared from field bottom of the contacts list

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu May 3 16:01:28 EDT 2007

On Thu, 03 May 2007 21:34:03 +0300, Simo Mattila wrote
> ke, 2007-05-02 kello 15:21 -0700, Sean Egan kirjoitti:
> > On 5/2/07, Nathan Walp <nwalp at pidgin.im> wrote:
> > >   I don't think it's a common occurance to change your type of status
> > > w/o changing the message.  You're not going to go from "Away/In a
> > > meeting" to "Available/In a meeting" or "Available/Anyone want to chat?"
> > > To "DND/Anyone want to chat?"  it just doesn't make sense.
> >
> > 8 of the over 250 currently online on my buddy list have a status
> > message that's tied to their state (not including auto-away). By far,
> > the vast majority of messages are "Random quotation or anecdote I
> > think other people will find amusing."
>
> People indeed use status message for all sorts of announcements,
> quotations and similar stuff that has nothing to do with status itself.
>
> I liked the old behaviour, if it counts ;) Now it's painful to keep same
> status message when you change your status.

Maybe we could alter the behavior depending on what version of Pidgin you're
using?  Something like:
if (version.micro % 2) then
    clear_message_field_when_status_changes();

That way users can still choose which behavior they want, and we avoid adding
a new preference.

-Mark