How to activate a Saved Status in the Perl API?

dave_menninger dave.menninger at gmail.com
Thu May 3 16:40:14 EDT 2007

I have recently begun work on a Perl plugin and I am having the same problem
as is described here.  The SavedStatuses.xs is simply incomplete.  I viewed
the code at:
http://developer.pidgin.im/browser/libpurple/plugins/perl/common/SavedStatuses.xs
Based on my understanding it would be relatively easy to add in the lines of
code that would enable access to the full range of functions via Perl.

Matthew Ford-5 wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, James Lockie wrote:
>
>> I think you need
>> gaim_savedstatus_activate
>> in Perl which you can't find.
>
> I fixed the problem by adding Gaim::SavedStatus::activate(saved_status)
> into the source myself, and recompiling Gaim. I just needed to insert the
> following lines into libgaim/plugins/perl/common/SavedStatuses.xs:
>
>   void
>   gaim_savedstatus_activate(saved_status)
>          Gaim::SavedStatus saved_status
>
> This raises a question: why are there so many functions missing from the
> Perl API? Surely all the hard work setting up the API is already done, and
> Perl should now be able to handle every object type that exists in the C
> API. We just need a more complete list of functions in those .xs files. Or
> is there some complication I'm overlooking?

> Matthew.

To the devs:
Is this something that is planned?  I looked around a little bit but didn't
see a ticket in Trac to flesh out the Perl API.  I'd even be willing to work
on this myself, but I think it would be more work for someone to hold my
hand through the process of creating a patch than for them to just do it.

In any case, I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Dave Menninger