monotone autotags

Lee Roach phroggster at gmail.com
Sat May 5 13:10:25 EDT 2007

Christopher Stafford wrote:
> Makes sense to me, although I think I'd lose the committer_id off the
> start, since you could just report that in whatever places you reported
> the auto-tag, and people would just refer to tim's change 'whitespace_3'.

But it's distributed version control; two devs could commit an
autotagged whitespace fixeup before syncing, and we'd have duplicate
tags. If monotone handles this scenario gracefully, there's no problems,
but I'm not positive it will. If I wasn't running late already, I'd test
it myself, but such is life.

As a possible simple enough method to handle the 'less important' tag
idea, perhaps `mtn list tags` could be hooked to ignore all tags that
contain an @ symbol, or all tags that start with a trusted key (sounds
slow), or some similar magic. If that would happen, `mtn tag` (ci,
others?) would probably have to be hooked to not allow the auto-tag
token(s) to appear in a given tag.

With that mentioned, I like the idea. More so if the commits list could
be modified to use this autotag as the subject for the empty emails, but
that's another topic entirely.

--Lee