assertion failure in D-bus code

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue May 8 10:41:53 EDT 2007

Oleg Sukhodolsky spake unto us the following wisdom:
n> build and installation works fine.  Now I'm trying to run pdgin for a
> user which has never used neither pidgin nor gaim.  And 've got he
> following assertion:
>
> Session Management: No SESSION_MANAGER found, aborting.
> dbus: Need to register an object with the dbus subsystem.
> g_log: file dbus-server.c: line 139 (purple_dbus_pointer_to_id):
> should not be reached
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> Why so?  Is something wrong with my build/environment?

That assertion is probably unrelated to the core dump.

> Thanks in advance, Oleg.
>
> P.S. Also, why it says that it is dumping core but I see no core file?
>  Should I change something in my build to have it?

No; either run 'ulimit -c unlimited' before running Gaim (from the
same terminal), or simply run Gaim inside gdb.  See:

http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/GetABacktrace

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.