[SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: Install package for Ubuntu

João Pinto lamego.pinto at gmail.com
Mon May 14 15:11:09 EDT 2007

1 - The package does not break the system because it as a bug, but because
people add the Debian unstable repositories which will trigger other
upgrades to core libraries which may get them into an unrecoverable or
unusable scenario, anyway my point was more to exemplify how far people can
go to get the last stable version.

2 - If you choose to ignore the 11K users which have downloaded until now,
then it is still working.

If you tell me that I should first check with the distro maintainers or you
(gaim developers) to validate or improve the package quality I would agree
with you, it is a bit different from the "we don't care about your package"
that I felt on your answer.

If you had  any doubts about the packaging, you could check the diff:
http://www.getdeb.net/archive/pi/pidgin_2.0.0-1~getdeb1.diff.gz

Thanks

2007/5/14, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im>:

> João Pinto spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Debian Unstable Pidgin 2.0.0 binaries are not installable on the current
> > Ubuntu version, anyway your comment follows the same logic that drives
> users
> > to break their systems trying to install the Debian packages.
> > I will rebuild my packages using the official Debian package rules to
> avoid
> > any future distribution upgrade issues.
>
> If this "break[s] their systems", then the package has a bug; it
> should not.  If the package is compatible, it should install fine, and
> if it is not, the requirements will indicate as much.
>
> > I understand your policy concerns, but I am also sure that it will fail
> in
> > the sense that people will keep looking for easy installations means and
> > eventually install it from unreliable sources.
>
> It has worked for years, now.  When we violated this policy, and
> allowed third-party users or developers to provide packages for us, we
> ran into situations where these users or developers were shipping
> patched binaries, and we have no way to tell or correct this.  This is
> not acceptable.
>
> Ethan
>
> --
> The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws [that have no remedy
> for evils].  They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor
> determined to commit crimes.
>                 -- Cesare Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishments", 1764

João Pinto
GetDeb Package Builder
http://www.getdeb.net