This is my new constructive idea.

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Sun May 20 12:28:43 EDT 2007

On May 19, 2007, at 8:12 PM, Andrew Rodland wrote:

> It's about tearing out the "send" button,
How often do you type a message and then click send?  Me, I hit
enter.  That button is a waste of space.

> refusing
> to map keys like any normal app
Key mapping is handled by GTK+.  You can remap your keybindings to
pretty much anything.

> , sending people to text config files for
> tasks that should be easy,
I can't recall seeing anyone directed to manual editing of
preferences in the past year on this mailing list, anyways.  Perhaps
you could explain which preferences are 'hidden' such that they can
only be modified via text editing?

> replacing _all_ of the icons with indistinct pastel blobs that give no
> hint as to their meaning (ooh, it's a square and a circle!),
Only a subset of icons was changed to "pastel blobs".  At some point,
any visual representation of an abstract concept is arbitrary; so
long as it is arbitrary and consistent -- as it is in Pidgin --
that's perfectly fine.

> replacing "Send As" with the less capable "Send To"
No idea what discussion surrounded this change, but in general this
is consistent with Pidgin getting things done in the most direct way
possible.  If you are one person, you should be concerned with the
destination of your messages; the source should be handled as
automatically as possible.

> replacing "Auto Login" with "Enable"
> without considering whether it could be painfully tedious on a shared
> profile
Sounds like a problem with how you've set up your computer to me.
All modern operating systems, and windows XP as well, let you set up
multiple users whose preferences won't be shared.  You should do this
if multiple people use your computer.

-Evan