Posting debug logs to trac

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Sun May 20 23:18:58 EDT 2007

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 08:04:55PM -0400, James Lockie wrote:
<snip>
> I totally agree.
> What are the potential problems with pidgin anonymising the log file?

On occasion the actual values being used have been the problem for things
like connecting to various xmpp servers. While the actual meaningful
content of the messages has not been important the format of the content
has been and the relationships between various parts of the content has
been. Which means that like Stu said, the anonymizing code would need to
keep form and retain identity across different sections of the log, which
is by no means impossible but is a bit more difficult.

I'm not sure I object to the idea of requiring people to be logged in to
view debug log attachments to tickets (though I don't know if trac would
let us do that), requiring people to be logged in to view tickets at all
is not acceptable. I'd go farther and say that adding a 'private' flag to
attachments would likely be a better idea then a blanket requirement for
all attachments.

	-Etan