Conversation window redesign

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Tue May 22 20:24:22 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 17:09 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> Additionally, this could serve as a useful drag-and-drop target, which
> would allow us to remove the tabs in one-conversation windows, which
> provides consistency with other popular tabbed applications.

I dislike that. I think the tab should always be there, otherwise when a
background IM comes in the widgets will move around.

> The toolbar is drastically simplified. Rather than 8 font buttons, we
> have a single Font button that, presumingly, opens the standard GTK+
> font selector, from which all the available features may be set.
>
> 'Reset formatting' remains (unfortunately, as I see it mostly as a bug
> workaround), and "Insert link" and "Insert image" are killed off,
> presumingly moved to a menu.

What about other formattings like underline and color? What about
formatting that we can no longer send like <strike>?

How does the idea of a single "Insert" dropdown button sound?

> The major downside, of course, is that it takes (in this mockup) 38
> additional vertical pixels.  The current buddy icon implementation
> also takes up space; I'm not sure how much worse this is in that
> regard.

That's not a problem for me personally, as I vertically maximize just
about all my windows.

-khc