Conversation window redesign

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Tue May 22 20:33:08 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 17:09 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> Hylke has made some suggestions, and a mockup that should fix all
> these issues are at http://pidgin.im/~seanegan/convwindowmock.png I
> don't think I hate it.

I don't particularly like it, but I guess I don't totally hate it
either.

You used a poor example though. That has quintuplicated redundant
information in it - the Window title, Tab label, Alias, Screen name and
Status message all indicate that it is Mark you are conversing with. I
realize this won't always be the case so maybe in the future your
mockups could be better :)

The buddy icon is also smaller than it really would be on that protocol,
and more space would be wasted if we displayed it at the intended size.

I like my conversation windows really minimal, and having the buddy
icons where we do currently I can live with losing just a "corner" of
the window, but I'm not sure I want to be losing so much vertical space
for it (I don't consider any of the other information displayed
particularly useful in the conversation window itself, in fact I don't
consider buddy icons particularly useful but I leave them on because
losing the corner of my conversation window isn't so bad).

Regards,

Stu.