Google Talk

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Wed May 23 03:05:32 EDT 2007

On 5/22/07, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 16:11 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> > We can tell what buddies are using the Google Talk client at runtime.
> > Would it be reasonable to show buddies using that client as 'idle,' as
> > that's what 'away' means for those clients?
>
> I wouldn't be opposed to this, but I don't think it really matters.

I see it mattering primarily in buddy prioritizing. If I'm logged in
with Winaim and Gmail, and leave my computer, Pidgin will tend to
prefer the AIM client, regardless of my ordering. AIM will be idle,
while Gmail will be away.

> > Additionally, it should be possible to define an idle state that only
> > gets set if you're connected to a Google Talk server. This would make
> > Google Talk users go 'idle' as other Google Talk users would expect.
> Are we doing anything unreasonable now? Could the Google Talk client be
> changed to show our away as "idle"?

I wouldn't say we're doing anything wholly unreasonable. It's only
that a Google Talk user expects that his protocol has an idle state,
and we don't provide one. Instead we provide states like "extended
away" and "chatty" that he's never heard of. It's certainly not the
end of the world, and it's probably nothing I'll do by Thursday, I'm
just curious if people (especially Nathan and Etan) think it's a good
idea.

-s.