Menu restructuring

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu May 24 02:22:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:27:02 -0500, Richard Laager wrote
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 22:48 -0500, Tim Ringenbach wrote:
> > It sounds like all of the above is for the purpose of unsetting the
> > allow_shrink property. I'm not sure why we feel the need to do this.
>
> +1
>
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 21:23 -0500, Kevin M Stange wrote:
> > I don't really like "Pidgin" as a menu because it doesn't really
> > describe the menu that well, though it may be better than buddies.
>
> +1
>
> I think Buddies is better than Pidgin because it describes most of
> the items in the list (all if you extent its meaning to include
> "Buddy List"), while "Pidgin" doesn't say much and seems to fly in
> the face of the anti-branding stance in the GNOME HIG.
>
> I don't think this is necessary and I'm opposed to removing the Help
> menu, because 1) We should provide the Online Help link, and 2) it'd
> be inconsistent with other applications.

I agree with all of Richard's points.  Especially "Buddies is better than
Pidgin because it describes most of the items."

On top that, I don't like moving "About" to the Buddies menu because that menu
is already gigantic, and adding a seldom-used menu item there would only get
in the way.  I think it's more important to keep the Buddies menu small than
it is to get rid of the help menu/have a minimum buddylist width.

-Mark