feature request - with an explanation

Ivan Levchenko levchenko.i at gmail.com
Tue May 29 17:16:15 EDT 2007

I only send password via XMPP because the connection is encrypted via
ssl, and not encrypted via msn.

I agree that most of the comments that are there there are from noisy users.

The idea of aliasing the contacts to use the xmpp accounts in
preference looks like a workaround and thanks for the idea, but it
really is a little uncomfortable. Even when pidgin used to group
different buddies into one contact, i always divided them.

I agree on the though that it didn't come to my mind that it could
have been a requested feature.

On the notion that you choose the software that you use - you are
mostly correct, but in the world of im software (and i mean a
multi-protocol gui app) - there isn't much choice on what to use:

SIM - it is very unstable and has a lot of issues with msn -
http://sim-im.org/wiki/MSN_plugin, doesn't sufficient chat support in
it.

Kopete - not as stable as pidgin, not enough plugins (the ones that i
need), could never get the new mail notification working - ever.. the
kde dependencies just kill you when you are working in a gtk env.
(gnome, xfce).

Thats why I think that there is no other option (at least for me)
other than pidgin and thats why I wrote this email - to see if it was
possible to get back the functionality that made it easier for me.  Is
there an option to add a voting for the feature?

IMHO, there isn't anything else for linux and amoung them, Pidgin
right now is a lightyear ahead of all of the others in stability and
functionality.

While thinking about this conversation, i got an idea for something
that I think would be a great idea -  to implement tabs. Now this is
just an idea, just the result of some brainstorming with some guys
from work - maybe somebody would like it. What if a person could be
able to create tabs in pidgin's buddy list. he could then be able to
group different people to different tabs. i know i would definitely
use this.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your replies. I'll try to figure something
out. its really nice to hear your opinions on the matter and good
luck!

Ivan