XMPP file transfer

Gal Topper galt280 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 02:20:44 EST 2007

Hi Prateek,

GTalk uses libjingle
<http://code.google.com/apis/talk/libjingle/index.html>for
file-transfers, while pidgin follows the
XEP-0096 <http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0096.html> standard. So there's
an obvious incompatibility there, which i believe the GTalk client enforces
upon sending (by notifying the user that the other side does not support
that kind of file transfer).

Pidgin is able to transfer files at LAN speeds when both sides are on the
same network because it supports direct file transfers over XMPP (jabber).
That means that no proxy is used, but the jabber server is used as normal
(for notifying the other side of the transfer details, and other things).

Gal