Make protocole plugins

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Mon Nov 26 11:06:56 EST 2007

(Taking this to devel at pidgin.im, which is probably the right place for
it.)

Anthony Catel spake unto us the following wisdom:
> There is no autogen.sh on pidgin tree ?

There is in the development sources, but not in the released tarball.
You can solve the problem you are having by appropriately editing
Makefile.am in protocols/ and configure.ac in the toplevel directory,
then running 'autoreconf -i'.

> I have written a protocols plugin.
> My problem is just this Makefile.

See, this would have been useful information in the *first* email.
"How do I regenerate Makefiles", and "How do I create a _new_
Makefile" are two entirely different questions.

You need to read up on autoconf/automake.  'info autoconf' and 'info
automake' contain good, if voluminous, information which is probably
already on your machine.  Sean's book, "Open Source Messaging
Application Development: Building and Extending Gaim" is another good
resource.

Having read up, you'll need to modify configure.ac to include the
Makefile as one of its generated targets, and protocols/Makefile.am to
include your directory as one of its SUBDIRS.  You'll also have to
create an appropriate Makefile.am for your protocol; you can look at
one of the existing files for an example.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.