Socket errors

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 15:48:17 EST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 2:36 PM, Sean Egan <seanegan at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the user wants to re-connect
> more frequently, he can hit the button.
Can you add a few more buttons for us to have to click to use things?
You see my point right, why require extra clicks?

> One instant reconnect would be harmful, say, when your corporate XMPP
> server goes down, and can't get back up because all 5 thousand clients
> are trying to re-connect simultaneously, essentially DOSing it.

Valid point, but any backoff will only mitigate this to a point.  In
the end, servers have to be resistant to DDoS whether malicious or
not.

> If you're actively using the client, you can manually reconnect
> immediately, while all the people who are away and don't care about
> re-connecting don't DDOS the server.

When I read that I heard "If Status=Avaliable; try immediate reconnect"

> I think supporting Network Manager properly is the best way to go
> about this. If Network Mangaer tracks this, we'll get it for free.

I do hope network manager will be universally accessible, and available...