Alternative MSN prpl

Chris Stafford gaimsubs at notak.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 07:46:02 EST 2007

Gary Kramlich wrote:
> Richard Laager wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 22:59 -0600, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> >> The big problem I see here is that no one has documented exactly
> what is
> >> wrong (read as ugly) about the current code.  Someone please tell
> me how
> >> in the hell this is susposed to get fixed if there problem is never
> >> presented.
> > I think a LOT of this has been fixed. I haven't looked at the code in a
> > while. When we had MSNP14 in trunk, it was working fine for me.
>
> > Richard
>
> /think/ != /know/ which is why I'm suggesting we document this stuff.
> Tribal knowledge sucks, make it public knowledge.

The code was never nearly as terrible as was being made out anyway - it
was never too much of a problem for me to understand and hack. About a
year ago there were some problems with the soap requests in terms of
memory leaks and a few crucial functions (mostly around buddy list
management) being absent / non-functional, but then some of the same
functionality works only slowly and painfully on the official client.
Put simply for the last last 4 months at least I have been happy to use
the code as my exclusive MSN client, and MSN is by far the most common
protocol for me to use. Most of the people here parroting the line that
the MSN code sucks actually are people who proudly declare in the same
sentence that they don't use MSN and would therefore have very little idea.