Certificate mismatch error. Attn: Orborde

Praveen praveen_k_81 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 15:22:48 EDT 2007

Hi,
We are running imo.im, and we allow people to sign in with their jabber IDs (under the network GTalk). We are trying to upgrade our libpurple code to 2.2.0 and facing some problems with the certificates.

For example, using a Google Apps account (user at example.com) to log into talk.google.com for IM (through Pidgin 2.2.0). We get the following error:

 certificate/x509/tls_cached: Name mismatch: Certificate given for example.com has a name of talk.google.com

With older versions of Pidgin, there were no certificate errors. The current version of Pidgin apparently throws up a dialog where user can choose to accept the certificate. Since we are using only libpurple and not Pidgin (GTK UI), we have no way to continue. We would like to request a generic signal/uiops mechanism to handle this certificate mismatch error, such that users of libpurple can programmatically handle these cases. And Pidgin UI can listen to these signals (or uiops) and pop up a dialog as they do now.

Thanks for the help.

-Praveen

PS: We are hiring, and we would love to have a Pidgin developer on our team. Email jobs at imo.im.

----

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.

  - Terry Pratchett

http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html