Change the Green Online Icon to an Icon reflecting the IM Protocol?

Charliep charliep at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 22:10:16 EDT 2007

I have a question about Pidgin: Is there a way to Change the Green Online
Icon to an Icon reflecting the IM Protocol? The Green Icon is useless as it
really doesn't convey any information. Eliminating it completely would be
better since it would save space - and you would still know whether the user
was online or not by the color of the text (black - online / grey - away /
not showing - not online). I would REALLY like to figure out a way to change
the generic green icon to an individual Protocol Theme Icon, like an MSN
Icon if the person is an MSN user or and AOL Icon if the person is an AOL
user. Is there a way to do this????

Also, Is there a GTK theme available that can make Pidgin more compact?
There just seems to be a lot of wasted space in Pidgin right now, and I
would like to keep the size of Pidgin on my desktop as small as possible. I
would like to make the sliding bar on the right hand side skinner. I would
like to get rid of the ... after a name that is too long, and I would like
to just tighten things up so the margins to the left and right of the Green
Icon are smaller.

Finally, the reasoning for Pidgin not allowing Skinning really doesn't make
sense. If you want to provide support to people based on a single
user-interface just simply tell them to revert back to the default skin if
they want support. And to say you will NEVER do something is just ... it
reflects a management style that is in direct opposition to what the market
may want / demand some time in the future.

Overall I think Pidgin is a great product. As a long time Miranda user I am
fed up with the user-unfriendliness of Miranda. But I think the inability to
customize the user interface within Pidgin and the present user interface
leaves a lot to be desired. The Miranda user interface is better IMHO, at
least for me, so now I am in a bind - I love the Pidgin functionality and
stability, but don't like the user interface. Your help is appreciated.