Change the Green Online Icon to an Icon reflecting the IM Protocol?

Michael Rozdoba mroz at ukgateway.net
Thu Oct 11 01:19:44 EDT 2007

Gary Kramlich wrote:

> Charliep wrote:
>> I have a question about Pidgin: Is there a way to Change the Green Online
>> Icon to an Icon reflecting the IM Protocol?
>
> <snip>
>
> Please see the ridiculously long email threads in the archives[1] about
> this topic as well as trac[2].
>
> [1] http://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/
> [2] http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/414

Why are you referring someone from the mailing list to a closed bug
tracker thread which itself explicitly directs conversation to this
list? Presumably since that thread there has been constructive
discussion on this list?

Please forgive me if I misjudge you. It's merely that I get the
impression you're saying 'this has been answered, end of story', rather
than 'read this background material, then come back here to discuss it'.

What is ridiculous about the length of that thread? It is certainly long
- I've just finished reading it. Your choice of that word suggests you
don't understand why it created that degree of attention & are somewhat
annoyed by this. Certainly I got the impression the devs have set ideas
about design aims & have trouble integrating conflicting user wishes.

I don't wish to rehash that entire thread but I do recall users being
described as stupid & an insistence that the complaints would go away,
along with a statement that only xx number of users had complained,
shortly followed by shouting at one user who posted a 'me too' complaint
(which clearly is a valid contribution since it modifies the stat
involved in the preceeding argument). Since the latter was partial
justification for the changes, if reality is proving this to be
incorrect, those concerned ought to be reconsidering the issues.

Of course there's no reason why users shouldn't be ignored altogether -
it wouldn't make for good PR, but there's no clear cut reason why such
an approach couldn't produce a good application, both in form &
function. Not that that would be my favoured approach.

--
Michael Rozdoba