Change the Green Online Icon to an Icon reflecting the IM Protocol?

Charliep charliep at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 05:04:49 EDT 2007

Kevin:

Okay, I sincerely do apologize. I will no longer use the "S" word in any
correspondence. I will try to be more constructive.

It is very unfortunate that you and Sean are color blind. I have a very good
friend of mine who did not discover he was slightly color blind until he
washed out of flight school, so I can empathize.

NONE of that gives you a reason or rationale to impose the disadvantages of
your handicap on the rest of the world. I think every author wants to design
a product that will be available to the widest range of readers.

Your handicap may likely make you perfectly UNQUALIFIED to espouse on this
subject. There is no way for you to know how easy it is for me to spot if an
AOL contact I have because the bright orange color of the icon compared with
the other Yahoo and ICQ friends I have in a group. But you have based on
your handicap decided my request is NOT important.

The ONLY reason I was BLUNT in the past (for which I have apologized) is
because you are (being and have been) so ABSOLUTE! Really I would love to
help out within Pidgin from a UI perspective. This is what I used to do for
my day job, but what is the point? The resolution of that bug submission was
... Its not a bug? PLENTY of people who were nice in the past have
complained and that didn't get you to WAKE UP AND LISTEN.

You have stated absolutely that there is no possible way you will ever get
rid of your non-descript icons or ever implement skinning. Absolutely ruling
something out is just ... maybe not the best way to handle things.

Your decision to LOCK OUT people with talents that differ from yours from
Pidgin's development process is ... probably not the best way to improve
your product.

The premise of developers deciding what is important to users based on their
limited analysis rather than using some kind of more scientific analysis is
... probably not the most efficient way to come up with the right decision.

---> Perhaps it might be a good idea to just implement a version with both
your non-descript icons and with IM Protocol Icons and then offer the user
the choice of what they want to implement during installation and then
include a way to poll the software to see which one is more popular. We are
talking about a small amount of code here, and yet you have made an absolute
decision NEVER to implement this. That is just ... probably a decision
process which could be considerably improved.

The premise of intentionally refusing to implement functionality that could
be VERY EASY to implement and would have no harm on other users is ... not
very friendly to your fan base out there.

>From the looks of everything this has been a repetitive complaint from
multiple users. For every 1 user that complains you probably have 100 that
are upset but don't want to waste their time complaining to people who won't
listen. Other people have been 'nice' but that didn't do any good. I tried a
more blunt approach and that did more harm than good, but my intentions were
nothing more than to help the process.

Oh! And another bug - a friend just tried to use MSN to send me a link and
the first 4-5 times he sent it to me the message didn't come through! I
would love and stay and try to help improve Pidgin and the UI but it seems
you don't want to listen and you have bigger things to worry about!