Best IDE for protocol plugin

Andreas Monitzer pidgin at monitzer.com
Fri Oct 12 12:09:47 EDT 2007

On Oct 12, 2007, at 17:33, Francois Botha wrote:

> MXit can connect to Jabber / MSN, but it has its own protocol too,
> which
> is way more popular.

Since they're supporting s2s on their ejabberd server, it doesn't
matter which XMPP server is more popular. You can just talk to
anybody on this service using any XMPP server supporting open s2s.
Of course, you wouldn't have access to the roster from mxit, and that
other jabber id would have to be subscribed to all of your buddies.

> As I said... it's based on jabber, but not compatible.
>
> Check out http://www.defza.com/wordpress/communication/jabber/mxit/

No, it doesn't have its own protocol, MXit just uses XMPP over non-
XML. Theoretically, you could translate between them even outside the
application using a proxy service. It should be relatively easy to
adjust the XMPP plugin to use this transport method.
However, a single example of a message isn't enough to understand how
the format works, so some kind of documentation would be necessary.

Of course, that wasn't your question at all :) I'd recommend using
vim (which isn't an IDE).

andy