Pidgin dns query issues (xmpp)

Lantern michaelford85 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:00:11 EDT 2007

I've been having an issue with dns resolution in pidgin. I've got an isolated
LAN with three RHEL5 boxes. They have the following ip addresses and
functions:

10.52.0.34: dns server (BIND9), mysql database, pidgin client
10.52.0.35: pidgin client, openfire jabber server
10.52.0.36: pidgin client

On 34, I've set "example.com" to resolve to 10.52.0.34, and I've set the dns
server on all three boxes to be 34 as well. Pinging "example.com" returns 34
on each box, and a small c program I've written resolves example.com to be
34 via the getaddrinfo function. However, I am having the following issue
with pidgin:

When I register a user with the domain "example.com," the process is
successful, and when I view active sessions in openfire, the user shows up
on the list. However, when I register 2 users on 2 different machines, and
then I try to send chat messages between them via the "example.com" domain,
the messages are not received either way. Furthermore, when I try to add the
other as a buddy via the "example.com" domain, the authorization process is
never shown to take place on the other end.

Both message sending and buddy-adding is successful when I specify the
actual ip address 10.52.0.34 as the domain.

I've been looking through \pidgin-2.1.0\libpurple\dnsquery.{c, h} in order
to see how the dns query works, but nothing stands out to me as code that
would prevent proper dns resolution only for sending messages. Is anyone
familiar with this problem, and can anyone advise me on my issue?