A few comments

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Thu Oct 18 00:05:36 EDT 2007

On Oct 17, 2007, at 8:51 PM, Ethan Blanton wrote:

> Colin Barrett spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> Isn't telepathy-haze behaving the same way?
>
> Not at all.  Telepathy and telepathy haze are both Free Software
> projects.

But I could very easily use the telepathy dbus API to write a closed
source, commercial IM client. AFAIK this is what Nokia is doing, and
other people I know are looking at using telepathy-haze in similar ways.

I just don't understand the negative attitude towards something like
the Skype plugin. It is a cool idea, and a number of people have
requested this functionality.

Perhaps we just have different goals -- my goal is to create cool
software that anyone can use, share, and contribute back to. When
software licenses prevent cool things from happening, that's a damn
shame.

I'm a little off topic at this point, so contact me offlist, Ethan, if
you want to continue this thread of conversation.
-Colin