Make.mingw for nullclient?

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Sat Sep 1 13:37:48 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 11:48:23AM +0200, Joanna Chopard (jchopard) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just managed to build pidgin and now want to understand libpurple.
> I looked under libpurple/example which has the nullclient.c, but didn't
> see Make.mingw for it.
>
> I'm still not clear what all the different makefile types are for:
> Makefile.in, Makefile.am, Makefile.mingw, and why the latter is missing
> in the example folder...

The Makefile.am:s are what we write to control the build process, the
Makefile.in:s are generated (from the Makefile.am:s) by the autogen.sh
script at distribution time, the Makefile.mingw:s are hand-written files
for use when building pidgin on Windows.

On non-Windows systems the configure script would generate the final
Makefile:s from the Makefile.in:s when run.

> Do I need to run the configure script at the top level to have it
> generated?

When building pidgin for Windows you don't use the configure script.

> I'd appreciate if you could just take a few seconds and clue me in so I
> can get started:)

You will need to write an appropriate Makefile.mingw in order to build the
nullclient (which may or may not work on Windows I'm not sure) or hope
that the right pidgin people write one for you. =)

> Thanks,
> Joanna

	-Etan