application integration standard proposal

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Sep 4 16:37:44 EDT 2007

Olivier Sessink spake unto us the following wisdom:
> An example: "The end user is using a IM client, where the he's notified
> in the chat window that a new email arrived from the same person he's
> chatting to (even if the IM account is different from the email
> account). The user may right click this buddy in the IM client, and in
> the context menu it says you have unread mail from this person, and the
> context menu will allow you to email this user (open a compose window)"

This is a really great idea, and it's sort of come up before (with
Pidgin<->evolution integration, and Christian Hammond's "Galago"
project).

> The draft standard how to do this is at
> http://olivier.sessink.nl/publications/UCII/

I have only looked at this briefly -- I'll try to read it more
carefully and provide specific comment later.

> In the end I would like to submit this to freedesktop.org, but I first
> would like to discuss the idea with the communities of the most well
> known open source communication programs, and improve it.
>
> Can you give me some feedback on the idea, and if such a standard would
> be adopted by Pidgin (if formalised by freedesktop.org).

With or without freedesktop.org standardization, if the standard is
clean and reasonable to implement, and there is some application
buy-in (I realize that can lead to chicken-and-egg problems), I, at
least, think we should be interested.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.