Persistent chat rooms

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 02:45:39 EDT 2007

* Sadrul Habib Chowdhury had this to say on [28 Aug 2007, 17:55:06 -0400]:
[snip]

> > Would it make sense to have "Hide" be the default action when you
> > close the window for IMs as well as auto-joined chats? So that it
> > always acts like the History plugin, but doesn't require logging?
>
> I do not really care either way. But we probably should emit
> 'conversation-hiding' signal just before the UI for a conversation is
> unset, and 'conversation-displayed' just after the UI is reset. Plugins
> may want to do things on either of these events. I think these signals
> should be in the UI, and not in the core. This time, will some of
> the real crazy patch writers please stand up?  ;)

I have made changes in im.pidgin.sadrul.conv.persistent so that:

 * The said signals are emitted
 * For chats, the conversation is not destroyed (ie., you don't leave
   the chat) when you close the tab if you have the chat in the buddy
   list and checked 'Persistent' from its context menu (like the
   'Auto-join' setting).
 * For IMs, I added a new preference 'Preference -> Conv -> Close IMs
   immediately when the tab is closed'. The preference defaults to
   FALSE.
 * A hidden IM is closed after 10 minutes of inactivity. There is no
   preference to change this timeout value.
 * If there's new message in a hidden chat, the icon for it in the
   buddylist remains the same, but the text is boldified.
 * A "<hr>" is appended at the end of the message history when a hidden
   conversation is redisplayed.
 * Logging begins and ends with a Purple-conversation, not with the tab
   associated with it.

These changes add new strings (in the preference and the context menu
for a chat in the buddylist). If we want to add this in 2.2.0, give me
a 'holla', as they say it, before the string freeze. We can wait for
2.2.1 to include these changes though, and I think that'd be a good
idea, since there hasn't been many people testing this yet.

We can move some of the things out of pidgin proper and into a plugin
(the stuff that add the new strings). So it will be possible to hide
conversations more easily than it is now, if a plugin wanted to, but
Pidgin itself will not do it. We may want to consider this option too.

I will be happy to look at any bugs from anyone tasting the brunch.

Sadrul