Finch and console ui

Bill Fassler bill.fassler at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 13:58:09 EDT 2007

I'm familiar with SVN, but have never used MTN.  A preponderance of your documentation leaves me to believe I am screwed.  I am using a new Ubuntu distribution and just updated my monotone and universe and after performing a mtn --version check I confirm that it is versions 0.31 which is apparently not compatible with your database.

Changing linux distributions would be an unappealing and time consuming process for me at this point.  Is this my only option?

Instead of using an autogen.sh script that I just found somewhere, I decided to use the commands Sean suggests in his book on page 60:

I see this:
(these are the two lines I made changes to:)

 AC_CHECK_LIB(panelw, update_panels, [GNT_LIBS="$GNT_LIBS -lpanelw"], [enable_consoleui=no], [-lncursesw])

 AC_CHECK_LIB(panel, update_panels, [GNT_LIBS="$GNT_LIBS -lpanel"], [enable_consoleui=no], [-lncurses])

If I just try to run configure and make now it works but the change doesn't seem to persist and my consoleui does not get enabled because of library dependency issues.

Then I run these commands from pg 60 of Sean's book:

vocal at Grumpy:~/project/blackfin-svn-branch/elf_flat/uClinux-dist/user/pidgin-2.0.0$ aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_SMPEG
/usr/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13:   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
/usr/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13:   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
vocal at Grumpy:~/project/blackfin-svn-branch/elf_flat/uClinux-dist/user/pidgin-2.0.0$ autoconf
configure.ac:109: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_INTLTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
vocal at Grumpy:~/project/blackfin-svn-branch/elf_flat/uClinux-dist/user/pidgin-2.0.0$ automake --add-missing --copy
libpurple/Makefile.am:157: addprefix $(srcdir: non-POSIX variable name
libpurple/Makefile.am:157: (probably a GNU make extension)
libpurple/Makefile.am:158: addprefix $(srcdir: non-POSIX variable name
libpurple/Makefile.am:158: (probably a GNU make extension)
libpurple/plugins/mono/Makefile.am:10: addprefix $(srcdir: non-POSIX variable name
libpurple/plugins/mono/Makefile.am:10: (probably a GNU make extension)
libpurple/plugins/mono/api/Makefile.am:19: addprefix $(srcdir: non-POSIX variable name
libpurple/plugins/mono/api/Makefile.am:19: (probably a GNU make extension)
libpurple/protocols/bonjour/Makefile.am:6: compiling `bonjour.c' with per-target flags requires `AM_PROG_CC_C_O' in `configure.ac'
Now at this point if I run ./confure (with my args) it will actually enable consoleui despite the above warnings and errors, but nothing will build because the Makefile is hosed.

My concerns are
1) When I run aclocal in a cross compile environment I wonder if it is appropriate for it to be going to the host machine directories (I.E. usr/share/aclocal)

2) I notice in that ac_prog_intltool exists originally in your aclocal.m4 file as an alias or something:

AU_ALIAS([AC_PROG_INTLTOOL], [IT_PROG_INTLTOOL])
# AC_DEFUN([AC_PROG_INTLTOOL], ...)

But disappears after I run the autogen commands and is completely undefined.

I think the two changes I made to configure.ac (based on Ethan's suggestion) are necessary not just for me, but for anyone trying to build anything static and I believe they should be incorporated into your next release.  I'm just hoping to find some way to get the changes to work on my Ubuntu cross-development environment today.

Any advice or suggestions are solicited.

Thanks for the help and have a great weekend.

Bill

Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote: On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 15:02 -0700, Bill Fassler wrote:
> Does pidgin/finch have a specific autogen.sh?

Checkout Pidgin from MTN instead of using a tarball.

Richard