AOL 6.0 protocol changes...

Jeff Connelly shellreef at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 03:42:17 EDT 2007

On 9/8/07, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:14:21 -0400, Thomas Hruska wrote
> > seeing how it maps to any documentation that already exists.  I've
> > attached some data to this message that represents a (mostly*)
> > complete communication sequence with kdc.uas.aol.com.
KDC = Key Distribution Center? That would also explain "Server:
KDC/uas_kdc_v11_r1.3".

> 2. What is "krbtgt"?  Is that another screen name?  It appears in there a few
> times.  Maybe the actual conversation data itself is encrypted, but the
> framing data surrounding the conversation isn't?
krbtgt = Kerberos Ticket-Granting Ticket?

http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/people/kenh/kerberos-faq.html#tgttgs
says "When a user first authenticates to Kerberos, he talks to the
Authentication Service on the KDC to get a Ticket Granting Ticket.
This ticket is encrypted with the user's password."

The terminology seems to fit the acronyms seen here - perhaps AIM6
uses Kerberos for authentication in some way.

-Jeff