Fwd: Re: Building, installing and using Finch on Ubuntu

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Wed Sep 12 16:46:29 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 01:43:44PM -0700, Bill Fassler wrote:
> Oops sorry Ethan, I meant to send this to the dev addy.
>
> Bill Fassler <bill.fassler at yahoo.com> wrote: Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:27:14 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bill Fassler <bill.fassler at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Building, installing and using Finch on Ubuntu
> To: Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im>
>
>  No problem then I suppose.  I have both a console and a terminal built on the embedded board I am trying to eventually get this to work on and I apologize for my ignorance.
>
> Since I finally got through the first pass on all the cross compilations and got my first uClinux Finch binary I wanted to see how it was suppose to work on a regular Linux distribution.
>
> I guess I am an old fart because I have never gotten into instant messeging and this whole experience is new to me.  I created a yahoo IM ID and tested my account by chatting a little bit in windows using Yahoo.  Then using my Ubuntu Finch I set up an account to use Yahoo with my ID/password and ugh nothing.  I only have 2 or 3 buddies in my list (who might be off-line) but shouldn't I see something? Do I need to create a .gntrc file or use a different terminal as Ethan suggests to get anything to work?
>
> Bill

You would want to open up the accounts window an enable your yahoo
account (since presumably you created it with pidgin).  If your account
is enabled, you still might not see much.  The buddy list can be closed
without exiting the program (important in a ncurses application because
space is limited), and even if open, the option to show offline buddies
is in preferences. You should be able to get to all of preferences,
accounts, and the buddy list from the alt-a menu.

luke