Current media: Status attribute, or independant status type?

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:15:22 EDT 2007

* Ethan Blanton had this to say on [20 Sep 2007, 09:58:44 -0400]:
> Sadrul Habib Chowdhury spake unto us the following wisdom:
> [snip]
> > Since this is an independant status type, it can be turned on and off
> > irrespective of the active primarty status (_AVAILABLE, _AWAY etc.).
> > This is how it's done for the 'mobile' status, and I think it makes more
> > sense, and makes the code more manageable, to do the same for 'tune'.
>
> I think this is the right choice -- I assume it was how it was
> implemented in the first place.

We have been using status attributes all along (ie. in 2.2.0, when it
first got in). I have pushed the branch (im.pidgin.sadrul.currentmedia)
where we use an independant status type instead of status attributes.
The branch includes changes in both xmpp and msn. I tested the
msn-stuff, and it's working fairly well (both receiving and sending). I
don't know of any xmpp-server that supports the tune-shizzle yet. But I
suspect at least some do. Could someone (perhaps the Adium folks?)
please see that the changes made in the branch don't break the
tune-stuff in xmpp? It'd be great if the developers with MSN knowhow
also verify that the changes work. :-)

Cheers,
Sadrul