API docs updated nightly

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Sep 24 15:57:02 EDT 2007

Luke Schierer spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Should the online API docs be built nightly at all?  I'm of the
> > opinion that they should probably be for the most recent released
> > version, myself.
>
> Released based API docs are best for plugin authors.  MTN based API docs
> are best for Summer of Code students, and those developers looking at
> bugs in areas of the code they have not worked with in a while.

My opinion is that anyone working on the codebase itself obviously has
the source, and the documentation is in said source.  There is no
reason that a plugin author need have the source, however, which is
why I believe the online documentation should reflect released
versions.

I personally find the header files and tags more useful than the
doxygen output, myself, which is another reason I feel that
up-to-the-minute web documentation is not as useful as release
documentation.

However, Daniel says we can have both -- which seems like the
appropriate solution, to me.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.