Mac OS X port: fink package submission

David Fang fang at csl.cornell.edu
Wed Sep 26 14:08:33 EDT 2007

> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 02:35 -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
>> The changes in that patch were pretty small and look correct to me, so I
>> checked it in.  Please let us know if you find any other problems.  Thanks,
>> Mark
>
> No, they're incorrect, and will break compiling with GTK but without
> X11. The correct fix for the problem David encountered was checked in in
> revision 326d6e6c8c6a955cdba84f1f802fc21ec3e6b662:
> http://developer.pidgin.im/viewmtn/revision/diff/8df1cedfbc540695a8645b21230d41783fe4f171/with/326d6e6c8c6a955cdba84f1f802fc21ec3e6b662

Thank you both for looking at it.  I've grabbed the above diff and
replaced my patch.  Still seems to work fine (gtk2 build), so I'll repost
down-stream to the tracker.

Can I get an opinion on package-splitting?
Currently, I have a full build of pidgin split into the following:

finch		-- just bin/finch
finch-dev	-- devel. headers include/finch/ and include/gnt/
 			(+.pc, .la)
finch-shlibs	-- libgnt, lib/finch/, ...
pidgin		-- pidgin and other bin/ programs
pidgin-dev	-- devel. headers for include/{pidgin,libpurple}, .la, .pc
pidgin-shlibs	-- libraries and plugins for libpurple and pidgin-2

However, if developers are anticipated build off of libpurple, then they
don't need the libraries that are specific to pidgin-client, correct?
If so, then I'm considering further splitting:

pidgin-dev -> pidgin-dev, libpurple (devel. files)
pidgin-shlibs -> pidgin-shlibs, libpurple-shlibs
 	(pidgin-shlibs will depend on libpurple-shlibs, of course)

and only pidgin-shlibs will depend on UI-specific shared libraries.

Thanks in advance.

Fang

David Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
 	-- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)