Exporting Incoming IMs as Text Files

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sun Apr 6 02:27:04 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 01:37 -0400, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2008, at 21.01, Luke Schierer wrote:
> I'm wondering if I could get a recommendation on which is
> easier to learn and execute on a Windows system (blasphemy, I know,
> but the tools I'm trying to interface with only exist in Win32)

I believe we ship the Perl interface on Windows, but I've never used it.
Writing this in C wouldn't be that terrible either. All you'd need to do
is catch the received-im-msg signal and then write out a file with the
contents. That said, if you're going to learn a language from scratch to
do this, try Perl first. ;)

> > A third way would be to work with the dbus interface.
>
> Could you explain this one to me? I'm not sure I'm familiar with it.

DBus doesn't exist on Windows, so in your case, you don't need to worry
about it.

Richard