Make a multi selection on buddy list

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Fri Apr 18 02:53:21 EDT 2008

Gary Kramlich wrote:
> Etan Reisner wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> While that does eliminate many (most) of the problems I'm not sure what
>> benefit that leaves behind (the only thing I can think of is dragging).
>>
>> I'd also be concerned about the possibility of that interface being
>> confusing, but I'm not at all sure what people are conditioned to expect
>> from graphical interfaces which allow multiple selection as I never really
>> use anything that lets me do that anymore.
>>
>>     -Etan
>
> Like I said, stab in the dark, and yeah, I couldn't determine how it'd
> be useful either :)

The most notable argument I've heard for multiple selections the the
ability to more quickly rearrange one's buddy list.  The problem of
starting new with Pidgin (or any multi-protocol messenger) and deciding
to shuffle around your list involves processing every buddy individually
to merge groups, create contacts, and improve overall organization.

For these things, some people with whom I have discussed switching have
indicated that being able to select more than one buddy would be a great
help to them.

Once the initial reorganization is done, however, I don't think there
are many use cases for multi-selection.

Kevin