SoC Community Bonding

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Apr 21 16:25:02 EDT 2008

I sent these to my student, but they're probably good advice for others
as well. If you have comments or other advice, please do share!

Richard

1. Subscribe to devel at pidgin.im. I see you've posted there, so you've
probably already subscribed. If not, please do so.

2. Join #pidgin on Freenode and devel at conference.pidgin.im (XMPP). Let
me know what nick you use there. Also, what real name do you go by?

3. Sign up for an account here: http://developer.pidgin.im/

Once you have an account, you should create a wiki page named
$ProjectName and quickly outline the project there. You can use this
wiki page throughout the project, as necessary.

4. Check out a copy of the Pidgin source from Monotone and build and
install it.

5. Pick a username for an @soc.pidgin.im e-mail account. Ideally this
would match your usernames/nicks elsewhere (IRC, etc.). Let me know
where you'd like to forward this e-mail (this address or somewhere
else?). *AFTER* that is done, I'll have you create a Monotone key pair
so we can get you commit access.

6. Read this: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/DesignGuidelines