pidgin: ae37fe6b: Added "chat-join-failed" signal, emitted...

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Mon Apr 28 23:52:23 EDT 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 11:26 PM, Mark Doliner wrote:

> This API is a little weird... when we join a chat we give the PRPL a
> hash
> table containing the chat info.  For Jabber this is the room name
> and the
> server.  For AIM this is the room name and the exchange.
>
> But your function only takes a name.  For Jabber I guess you're
> passing the
> value of what would have been PurpleConversation->name?  This is
> weird to me
> because it differs from the components hash table passed to join
> chat.  I'm
> wondering how you envision this working for AIM?  Or, what would
> happen if you
> try to join "testroom" on exchange 4 and "testroom" on exchange 5
> and one of
> them fails? I wonder if the function should take a 'components' hash
> table instead of or
> in addition to the name?

I started to write the API that way initially, actually, but discarded
it as too complicated.  I think you're right that that complication is
necessary; the AIM exchange example is a good one.

The easiest thing to do will be to keep the GHashTable used for chat
creation around in the prpl's private data to be able to pass it
back.  Does that sound reasonable?

> Or maybe AIM should set PurpleConversation->name to
> "roomname:exchange" or something.

Seeing the way using the name would require parsing emphasizes that
the hash table would be better.

-Evan