pidgin: ae37fe6b: Added "chat-join-failed" signal, emitted...

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Mon Apr 28 23:55:42 EDT 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 11:40 PM, John Bailey wrote:

>> Also, just to be clear: Is the reason that this forces to 2.5.0 that
>> 2.4.0 libpurple must be able to work perfectly with plugins
>> compiled for
>> a theoretical 2.4.2... and those plugins might depend upon this new
>> signal?
>
> The addition of *anything* to the public API requires a minor
> version bump
> according to the rules.
Okay, thanks.

>> Ok, I imagine resiak's telepathy-haze will appreciate this as well.
Good!

>> Adium, for example - may create the
>> equivalent object (AIChat for Adium) when the request to join a
>> chat is
>> made rather than once the chat is successfully joined.
>
> What specifically is the problem with waiting to create UI elements
> until the
> chat creation is completed successfully?

None whatsoever. UI elements aren't created until the chat joining is
successful.  Adium is not strictly a libpurple UI, though, and as a
rule doesn't associate its own objects tightly to the objects and flow
of libpurple.  AIChat is Adium's equivalent of PurpleConversation, not
of GtkChat (so my explanation wasn't perfect metaphor).

-Evan