A blog about someones first time with a Linux desktop which mentions Pidgin

Phil Hannent phil at hannent.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 11:22:10 EDT 2008

Ethan Blanton wrote:
> Felipe Contreras spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> 2008/4/29 Phil Hannent <phil at hannent.co.uk>:
>>>  This blog entry is about a guy that got his girlfriend to try out ubuntu
>>> 8.04 from a fresh install.  He gave her a set list of tasks to complete and
>>> task eleven was to logon to MSN.  She used Pidgin but seemed to have a
>>> little trouble with the add account screen (expecting add to create a new
>>> account):
>
> Some of the points in this post are things we have discussed several
> times; for example, the text prompt in the buddy list and the open add
> account dialog on startup with no configuration came from such
> discussions.  We aren't sure how to "fix" some of the problems, though
> -- for example, the confusion about multiple protocols in the add
> account dialog.  A multiprotocol messenger just has multiple
> protocols, and there's not a lot we can do about it.  We might be able
> to make it "friendlier" (quotes intentional) by changing to a
> wizard-style addition, but only at the expense of annoying a large
> portion of our userbase (including most of the developers) who
> *expect* Pidgin to me multiprotocol.  This part is tough.

Looking at the screenshot from the blog I can see that the window manager kind
of obscures that fact that the combo box is a combo box, it looks more static
than something I have to select.  The way around it would be to switch to a list
view or radio buttons, neither of which I like.

Regards
Phil Hannent