A blog about someones first time with a Linux desktop which mentions Pidgin

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 11:19:04 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Sean Egan <seanegan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/08, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  <comment>
>  >  In anyway, I can't believe users really asked for it and developers
>  >  even though were strongly opposed to the idea changed the default
>  >  behavior out of the kindness of their heart. There is a difference
>  >  between empathic listening and user-stop-bitching strategies.
>  >  </comment>
>
>  It's something that's -- by default -- has been off and on and then
>  off and then on again from varying release to release. When it's off
>  by default we'd get several requests a week about how to turn it on...
>  I'm not sure we've ever had a request about how to turn it off. I
>  think we eventually decided to turn it on because it was distros were
>  shipping with the option turned on by default. For better or worse,
>  people (this guy's girlfriend aside) seem to expect Pidgin to continue
>  running with no visible UI.
>
>  I've noticed some applications that behave the same way set some
>  window manager hint or something that causes some little animation
>  that makes it clear that the app isn't terminating. Maybe we should do
>  the same.

Sound like a good idea.

I checked rhythmbox in Fedora and it closes completely when I click
the X button.

The difference is that when I choose "close" from the menu it goes
into the notification area, also when I type the key-bindings.

Pidgin doesn't have the "close" option, which is weird because almost
anything closes itself with Ctrl+W.

I would be in favor of replicating this behavior (rhythmbox's).

>  Also, I think we've dropped Screen Name in favor of Username for a
>  release or two now, right?

Any idea why it came back?

Best regards.

--