A blog about someones first time with a Linux desktop which mentions Pidgin

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 13:16:25 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Etan Reisner
<pidgin at unreliablesource.net> wrote:
>  I remain very much against intentionally breaking the uniformity we've
>  been working on improving here simply because we can't agree on a good way
>  to handle this (which I think we may actually have found, more on that in
>  a minute).

As I said, not everyone agrees with me :)

I don't think it's necessarily non-uniform to have each protocol
specify the sanest way to describe an account. We already do this all
over the place: an AIM account is described by a screen name; an XMPP
account is described by a screen name, domain, and resource; an IRC
account is described by a screen name and a server. I just don't
understand what's so sacred about a user name such that it must
*always* be called "username" no matter how many "domains" and
"servers" and "resources" you have after it.