XMPP, Connect Server, and SRV

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Fri Aug 8 13:18:08 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 13:03 -0400, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> On Aug 7, 2008, at 8:32 PM, Stu Tomlinson <stu at nosnilmot.com> wrote:
> I've been asked to produce a plugin similar to the Google Talk
> service, an XMPP account type with some values prefilled. The service
> allows JIDs as arbitrary email addresses - which, upon further
> consideration, I think may be the real problem. Should an XMPP service
> allow clients whose domains don't match the server, e.g.
> evan at adiumx.com connecting via an XMPP server on pidgin.im?
>
> If this should be allowed, then specifying "evan at adiumx.com" ad the
> jid and pidgin.im as the connect server would be the method for
> connection. However, this then means that pidgin.im must resolve to
> the xmpp server directly. If we wanted to run pidgin.im on
> xmpp.pidgin.im, or via a load-balancer on several different machines
> (xmpp1.pidgin.im, xmpp2.pidgin.im, etc.) this wouldn't be possible
> with the connect server specified, as SRV would not be used.
>
> Does that clarify? Is my client just abusing the connect server, and
> the correct behavior is to require that the jid have a specific domain
> rather than using the connect server in this way?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you want usernames of
'evan at adiumx.com' and domain of 'pidgin.im', which produces a full JID
of 'evan at adiumx.com@pidgin.im/Resource' - this, I believe, is a valid
JID, and would work using pidgin.im SRV records *IF* our usersplits
weren't broken in such a way as to prevent this working at the moment.

The fix is to make our usersplits support that form of JID and not to
muck about doing SRV lookups on the connect server.

Regards,

Stu.